Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Atheist

A few months ago, I read a piece in the Ask Laskas advice column. Even before that, her responses were less than stellar, but that one caused me to do some digging. It seems that the most popular advice columnists don't have any training (except previously giving advice to others) in psychology or anything that would qualify them to counsel people.

Ask Laskas has a MFA in non-fiction writing, and even Ask Amy (who I actually like) only shows an unspecified degree from Georgetown University.

At the end of the post, I (half-jokingly) suggested starting my own column. Several of my blogging buddies supported, and encouraged, the idea. My wife even suggested an interesting spin to it. Her suggestion was a he said/she said style, but we'll actually be bringing more to it than that. Since she's a Christian, and I'm... well not, this could be a chance for people to compare our two philosophies in one place. I'm involved (although I haven't contributed in a while) in another such endeavor, but that's slowed down a bit.

Since then, I've been debating about it more and more. The more I thought about it, the more the idea appealed to me. I won't go into the reasons, because after five months of thinking about it they've become too many to list easily. However, the end result is this blog.

So, I'm going to be putting up the contact information for me and my wife, soon (see "Contacting Us" on the top right). You can email either one of us, or both of us. You can use whatever advice we give as you see fit. You can mix and match, choose one side, get a third opinion, or whatever you want. All I'm here for is to give my honest opinion on whatever situation you ask me about.

So, let the questions begin. I look forward to helping in any way that I can.

No comments: